Is the cost- of-living crisis making you yearn for lower bills, but struggling to choose what to do? Perhaps you are thinking of extending or remodelling and want to understand why having a whole house plan can help avoid unintended consequences? Or are you wondering if your home is one of Britains’ “leakiest homes”, and what even does that mean?
Our homes can cost us less to run, be more comfortable and healthier for us to live in. There are ways of becoming more energy self-sufficient, but working out what is best for your home, in what order to do things, can be baffling and technical.
- Is your EPC – Energy Performance Certificate – really a good guide to energy efficiency?
- How important are thermal bridges and airtightness?
- Are there grants out there which could help the cost of some of these measures?
Retrofit could be the answer to all these questions and can mean doing a whole house renovation really well or implementing quick easy and cost-effective measures to reduce your energy use.
It can offer not just visual improvements but lower energy bills, a comfortable and healthy home.
Meet Our Panel of Retrofit Experts
To find out more, join local architects and builders for our next Shoreham Society event on 18th November from 7pm in Room 3 of The Shoreham Centre. Open to all, £2 for Shoreham Society members, £3 for non-members, on the door.
- Ben Murdoch from NuPlanet is a sustainable design consultant with a background in architecture and Passivhaus design. NuPlanet specialises in offering low energy design advice, evaluations, and calculations for architects and homeowners working on retrofit or new build projects.
- Sarah Kemp of Eskay Architects is a Shoreham based Architect and a qualified Retrofit Coordinator, specialising in sustainable design and retrofit, with current projects in Lewes, London and Storrington.
- Justine Rattray set up Justine Rattray Architecture 8 years ago. She works mainly in the domestic sector from whole house renovations to extensions and alterations. Justine focuses on thoughtful space planning, efficient design and environmentally conscious detailing.
- Simon Young of SY Construction has 25 years of building experience. His Environmental Science degree is the driver behind his desire to sustainable build sustainably. Now looking to down tools and pass on his experience as a Site Retrofit Consultant.